Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Portrait Of An American Singer

Inarguably a major recording act, Tennessee Ernie Ford (1919-1991) sold an estimated 90 million albums worldwide, and charted 17 Top Ten country singles and four Top Ten pop singles over a 35-year recording career. And he played significant - and pioneering - roles in radio and television broadcasting. All the secular-themed studio recordings from the first dozen years in the career of one of the most important crossover acts in the history of American popular music. Five CDs containing 154 tracks and a 120-page book with newly written essays, track-by-track album notes, a discography, label scans, and many rare photographs and illustrations. Early country hits including the chart-topping Mule Train (1949) and Ford's pioneering 'hillbilly boogie' smash The Shotgun Boogie (1950), as well as Ford's first major crossover hit, the 1950 duet (with Kay Starr) I'll Never Be Free. It also includes classics such as Rock City Boogie (with the Dinning Sisters, 1951) and Blackberry Boogie (1952) as well as overlooked delights as the train song Tennessee Local (1952), his 1952 interpretation of Willie Mabon's rhythm and blues hit I Don't Know. This boxed set includes two never-before-released songs (Slow Down and Small World), numerous Ford singles and album tracks not previously reissued on CD, and several rarities, including Ford's 1955 recitations of Davy Crockett tales, as well as Ford's 1958 public service jingles to promote the U. S. Marine Corps 'Toys for Tots' charitable program.

Disc: 1 1. I've Got the Milk 'Em in the Morning Blues 2. Tennessee Border 3. Philadelphia Lawyer 4. Country Junction 5. Smokey Mountain Boogie 6. You'll Find Her Name Written There 7. Put Your Arms Around Me 8. Anticipation Blues 9. Blues Stay Away from Me 10. Philosophy 11. Mule Train 12. The Donkey Serenade 13. The Cry of the Wild Goose 14. My Hobby 15. I've Got the Feed 'Em in the Mornin' (Change 'Em) Feed 'Em in the Evenin' Blues 16. Slow Down 17. I'll Never Be Free 18. Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own 19. The Lord's Lariat 20. What This Country Needs (Is a Good Old Fashioned Talk with the Lord) 21. Bright Lights and Blonde Haired Women 22. I Ain't Gona Let It Happen No More 23. The Shotgun Boogie 24. The Blue Canadian Rockies 25. It's the Talk of the Town 26. Cincinnati Dancing Pig 27. Leetle Juan Pedro 28. Tailor Made Woman 29. Stack-O-Lee 30. I'm a Bad Man 31. You Can Tell a Texan Everytime 32. The Strange Little Girl 33. Kentucky Waltz  


Disc: 2 1. She's My Baby 2. Mister and Mississippi 3. Christmas Dinner 4. A Rootin' Tootin' Santa Claus 5. Oceans of Tears 6. You're My Sugar 7. Rock City Boogie 8. Streamlined Cannonball 9. Kissin' Bug Boogie 10. Woman Is a Five Letter Word 11. Hey, Good Lookin' 12. Cool, Cool Kisses 13. Hambone 14. The Gandy Dancer's Ball 15. Everybody's Got a Girl But Me 16. Fatback, Louisiana, USA 17. Snow Shoe Thompson 18. I'm Hog Tied Over You 19. False Hearted Girl 20. Tennessee Local 21. Blackberry Boogie 22. I Don't Know 23. Sweet Temptation 24. Don't Courtin' in a Hot Rod 25. We're A' Growin' Up 26. Hey! Mr Cotton Picker 27. Three Things (A Man Should Do) 28. Celebratin' 29. Kiss Me Big  

Disc: 3 1. Catfish Boogie 2. This Must Be the Place! 3. The Honeymoon's Over 4. There Is Beauty in Everything 5. Somebody Bigger Than You and I 6. Have You Seen Her 7. Give Me Your Word 8. River of No Return 9. Eins, Zwei, Drei 10. Losing You 11. The Ballad of Davy Crockett 12. Farewell 13. The Death Hug / the Ballad of Davy Crockett / a Sensible Varmint 14. Crockett's Opinion of a Thunderstorm / Farewell 15. I Am a Pilgrim 16. His Hands 17. Sixteen Tons 18. You Don't Have to Be a Baby to Cry 19. Nine Pound Hammer 20. Trouble in Mind 21. That's All 22. John Henry 23. Chicken Road 24. Dark As a Dungeon 25. I Gave My Love a Cherry 26. Gaily the Troubadour 27. The Rovin' Gambler 28. The Last Letter 29. Who Will Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet  

Disc: 4 1. False Hearted Girl 2. In the Pines 3. Bright Lights and Blonde Haired Women 4. The Rock, Roll Boogie 5. Call Me Darlin', Call Me Sweetheart, Call Me Dear 6. First Born 7. Have You Seen Her 8. One Suit 9. The Watermelon Song 10. The Lonely Man 11. Blackberry Boogie 12. She's My Baby 13. Kiss Me Big 14. Catfish Boogie 15. Smokey Mountain Boogie 16. Anticipation Blues 17. Shotgun Boogie 18. I've Got the Milk 'Em in the Morning Blues 19. Ain't Nobody's Business Taylor But My Own 20. I Ain't Gonna Let It Happen No More 21. Country Junction 22. The Lord's Lariat 23. In the Middle of An Island 24. Ivy League 25. Down Deep 26. Bless Your Pea Pickin' Heart 27. A-Sleepin' at the Foot of the Bed 28. Love Makes the World Go Round 29. Sunday Barbecue 30. Glad Rags 31. Toys for Tots (Short Version) 32. Toys for Tots (Long Version)  

Disc: 5 1. Browns Ferry Blues 2. Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair 3. My Grandfather's Clock 4. Code of the Mountains 5. Small World 6. Left My Gal in the Mountains 7. Blackeyed Susie 8. Pretty Little Pink 9. Look Down (That Lonesome Road) 10. Love Is the Only Thing 11. Darby's Ram 12. Freight Train Blues 13. Barbara Allen 14. Twenty One Years 15. Old Blue 16. The Night Herding Song 17. Sunny Side of Heaven 18. Little Klinker 19. Jingle - the Brownie 20. Jealous Heart 21. I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know 22. I Really Don't Want to Know 23. Molly Darling 24. Don't Rob Another Man's Castle 25. I Can't Help It 26. Take Me in Your Arms and Hold Me 27. I Gotta Have My Baby Back 28. Bouquet of Roses 29. Cold, Cold Heart 30. I Love You So Much It Hurts 31. Half As Much

Tennessee_Ernie_Ford_-_Portrait_Of_An_American_Singer.rar

No comments:

Post a Comment